3. Bicycle Crunches:
- Lie on your back, knees bent.
- Place hands behind your head without interlacing your fingers. Lift your head slightly.
- Twist so that your left elbow goes toward your right knee while you extend your left leg.
- Pull your leg back in and extend the other leg, twisting so that your right elbow goes toward your left knee.
- Build up to 3 sets of 25 reps each.
4. Side Planks:
- Lie down on your right side, leaning on your elbow.
- Extend your legs out straight, with your feet stacked. The edge of your right foot should be on the floor.
- Use your core to hold your body up in a straight line (you can modify it by putting your right knee down on the floor if you need support).
- Hold for 20 to 30 seconds, or longer if you can.
- Lower yourself fully to the floor and switch sides.
- For added challenge, lift the top leg and hold it up so that it is not touching the bottom leg.
- Holding each side for about 30 seconds, do four or five reps, and increase as you get stronger.
5. Seated Russian Twists:
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat.
- Hold your arms out in front of you, hands pressed together.
- Lean back about 45 degrees. With a slow, controlled movement, twist to your left side.
- Return to center, and twist to your right. That’s one rep.
- One full rep should take about 20 seconds. Take a breath and repeat.
- Start with four to five reps, adding more reps as you get stronger.
- For an added challenge, lift your feet off the floor as you do this exercise.