Method 7: Lice Prevention & Treatment
Another amazing benefit of coconut oil is the natural prevention and treatment of lice.
Rich in fatty content, coconut oil suffocates the lice, making it harder for them to maintain a grip on your hair follicles. The lubricating properties in the oil prevent the lice from moving in freely, thus restricting their growth.
To add to this, tea tree essential oil acts as a natural insecticide to kill head lice.
The blend of shampoo makes it an all-in-one treatment, acting as the base to help rinse out your hair.
Things you’ll need:
- oconut oil (suffocates lice) – 2 tablespoons
- Shampoo – 2 tablespoons
- Tea tree essential oil (natural insecticide) – a few drops
Step 1. Mix together coconut oil, shampoo & essential oil
- Pour 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a jar.
- Add an equal portion of shampoo to the coconut oil.
- Add a few drops of tea tree essential oil to the mixture.
- Whisk the ingredients together so that the elements combine well into each other.
Step 2. Apply for 30 minutes and comb out the dead lice
- Coat your hair well with the oil-shampoo blend and cover with a shower cap.
- Allow the concoction to rest on your hair for 30 minutes.
- Comb your hair to remove the dead lice and their eggs.
- Finish with normal shampooing and conditioning your hair.
Alternatively, before combing, you can use a blow dryer over the shower cap for 2 to 3 minutes in order to further suffocate the lice.
Repeat 3 times a week for best results.
Method 8: Base for Hair Coloring
Coconut oil makes an excellent base for your hair coloring. This is because coconut oil seeps more deeply into your hair than any other natural oil, thus making your color look more vibrant and last longer.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply the oil before hair coloring
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into a bowl.
- Apply the oil to your hair, literally covering every section.
- Allow the oil to penetrate deep into your hair for 5 minutes.
- Follow your regular coloring routine.
- Once color has set, shampoo normally with lukewarm water to remove any traces of colorant or the oil. Then dry your hair.
- Finish with wrapping your hair with a towel or a shower cap and leave it overnight to allow the color to set further.
Apply coconut oil every time before you want to color your hair.
Method 9: Prevent Gray Hair
Coconut oil comes with another amazing benefit of treating and preventing gray hair. Blend coconut oil with gooseberries and this works as an excellent remedy for gray hair.
Gooseberries are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants that help promote healthy growth of your hair. Moreover, the collagen-boosting ability and the antioxidants in gooseberries help maintain the health of your hair follicles by fighting off factors that lead to damage.
Things you’ll need:
- Coconut oil (prevents gray hair) – 2 tablespoons
- Gooseberry powder (promotes healthy hair growth) – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Heat coconut oil and gooseberry powder in a pan
- Pour 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of gooseberry powder to the oil.
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Turn on the flame and heat the ingredients until the mixture starts to char.
Step 2. Pour into a jar and let it cool
- Pour the oil into a jar and allow it to cool until it is just warm enough to touch.
Step 3. Coat your hair with the mixture
- Apply the oil mixture on your hair and scalp, and gently massage for a few minutes.
- Let the oil sit for 1 to 2 hours. You can also leave it on overnight, just cover your hair with a shower cap.
- In the morning, wash it out with a mild shampoo.
Use the treatment 2 or 3 times a week for getting rid of and preventing gray hair.