Method 4: Dry, Damaged and Frizzy Hair
Coconut oil, honey and egg yolk combine to make one of the best remedies for treating dry, damaged and frizzy hair.
While coconut oil moisturizes and nourishes your dry hair, honey acts as a humectant to restore moisture to your scalp.
The egg yolk adds proteins and vitamins that help nourish the hair follicles, condition and soften knotty hair and provide an intense protein treatment to your hair.
Things you’ll need:
- Coconut oil (moisturizes and nourishes dry hair) – 2 tablespoons
- Honey (natural humectant) – 2 tablespoons
- Egg yolk (conditions and softens hair) – 1
Step 1. Break an egg and separate the yolk
- Break open an egg and separate the yolk from the white.
Step 2. Whisk coconut oil, egg yolk and honey
- Pour 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a jar.
- Add 1 large egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of honey to the oil.
- Whisk the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
Step 3. Apply the mixture and let it work overnight
- Apply the mixture to your dry hair and scalp. It is best not to overdo it with the oil, lest you may end up with oily and sticky hair that would require shampooing.
- Massage gently for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave the mixture in your hair overnight for best results. However, if you’re in a hurry, letting it sit 1 hour will also suffice.
- The next morning, rinse it out using warm water until there is no more residue on the scalp. If your hair feels too oily, you can wash it with a mild shampoo. However, it is best to avoid shampooing.
Repeat the treatment twice a week for effective results.
Method 5: Protection from Sun Damage
Coconut oil makes an incredible natural sunscreen. It naturally contains a sun protection factor (SPF) of 10 that helps protect your hair from being damaged by the harmful rays of the sun.
Things you’ll need:
- Coconut oil (natural sunscreen)
- A spray bottle containing water
Step 1. Pour coconut oil and water in a spray bottle
- Fill a spray bottle almost full with water.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into the bottle.
Step 2. Shake well and spray it on your hair
- Put the cap on the bottle, shake it and spritz the diluted oil on your hair.
- For even coverage, comb it through your hair.
Use this spritz 4 or 5 times throughout the day to protect your hair from sun damage.
Method 6: Detangler
Coconut oil works wonders for detangling stubborn hair knots and tangles.
If you have long or curly hair, all you need to do is just apply a small amount of coconut oil to your hair and gently work through your tangles. Coconut oil is 100 percent natural and organic, so it will not leave any residue on your scalp.
Single-Step Treatment: Apply coconut oil on your hair and comb out the tangles
- Gently massage a small amount of coconut oil onto the tangles in your hair, or evenly throughout your hair if you prefer.
- Grab a comb and gently work out the tangles.
You do not need to shampoo or rinse your hair after applying the coconut oil. Let the oil soak in and it will continue to nourish your hair all through the day.
Alternatively, after shampooing and rinsing your hair, you can spray diluted coconut oil as a detangler and gently comb through your hair to help work out tangles.
Use the treatment whenever you are struggling with messy knots.