Coconut oil is one of those incredibly amazing home remedies that can be used for anything from a natural moisturizer to imparting a glowing and radiant skin to various health and cooking applications. However, coconut oil can also be assimilated into your hair care regime for treating dry, damaged and frizzy hair.
Conventional hair care products (including shampoos, conditioners and various serums), being chemical-laden and alkaline, disrupt the natural texture of your hair making it struggle for a delicate balance that results in dry and rough hair with split ends, dandruff, hair loss issues and a host of other troubles.
The natural properties of coconut oil make it extremely beneficial for your scalp and hair. Coconut oil meshes well with the texture of your hair to impart a gorgeous, shiny and longer fall.
There are two ways you can use coconut oil on your hair, depending on your hair type. People with slightly wavy or straight hair should use a coconut oil treatment before washing their hair, while those with curly or thick hair should use it after washing their hair.
BENEFITS OF COCONUT OIL:
- Moisturizes your hair and scalp
- Is anti-fungal and gets rid of dandruff
- Penetrates the hair shaft
- Protects your hair from losing protein when washing which results in thicker hair
- Contains vitamin E and lauric acid, both are essential for strong, healthy hair and prevent hair loss
- Contains fatty acids that strengthen your hair resulting in less split ends
- Gives your hair a healthy shine
Given below are coconut oil treatments for nine major hair troubles you are likely to encounter at some point in time.
Method 1: Coconut Oil Hair Mask for Deep Conditioning
Coconut oil is one of those rare things with the right type and proportion of chemical properties that help smoothen your hair cuticles (natural protective layer), while also repelling water to avoid ruffling of your hair. It helps smoothen the overlapping layers of protein on each strand of hair and improves overall scalp health.
Honey is an amazing humectant and thus works as an excellent conditioner for dry hair.
Apple cider vinegar, on the other hand, acts as a natural detangler as well as removes any traces of residue from the hair.
Things you’ll need:
- Coconut oil (improves scalp health) – 2 tablespoons
- Honey (excellent conditioner) – 1 tablespoon
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) (natural detangler) – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Pour coconut oil and honey into a bottle
- Pour 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a wide-mouth bottle.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to the oil.
Step 2. Whisk the ingredients together
- Whisk the ingredients together so that they are well incorporated into each other.
The mixture may separate a little bit, but that is perfectly fine. Just give it a swirl while applying to ensure that you get an even proportion of each ingredient.
Step 3. Add ACV and whisk again
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and whisk again to form a mask.
Step 4. Apply the mask on your hair
- Start with a small amount of the mask on your palm and massage it well into your hair and scalp with your fingertips.
- Section your hair into equal portions and apply the mask from the roots moving down to the tips.
- Once all parts of your hair are covered, pile your hair into a bun and let the mask do its work for 30 minutes.
- Wash it out with a mild shampoo. You do not need conditioning for this wash.
Use the treatment once every week for softer, smoother and gorgeous hair.
Method 2: Hot Coconut Oil Therapy for Hair Growth
Coconut oil works in a natural way to promote longer, thicker and shinier hair. Plus, a blend with essential oil and herbs makes it all the more effective in promoting hair growth.
While the vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids in the coconut oil nourish the scalp and remove excess sebum from the hair follicles, the essential oils and herbs help strengthen the roots and work to eliminate dandruff, which further boosts your hair growth.
Things you’ll need:
- Coconut oil (promotes hair growth) – 2 tablespoons
- Rosemary (strengthen the roots) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Tea tree essential oil (contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties) – 1/4 teaspoon
Step 1. Put coconut oil and rosemary in a bowl
- Start with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add ½ teaspoon of rosemary herb to the oil.
Step 2. Heat the mixture, then strain it
- Heat the oil and herb mixture in a microwave for 30 seconds.
- Set the hot oil aside for 5 minutes. This allows infusion of the properties of the herb into the oil.
- Strain the oil to separate the herb residue.
Step 3. Add tea tree essential oil to the hot oil
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of tea tree essential oil to the hot oil.
Step 4. Apply the hot oil on your hair for 30 min
- Apply the hot oil on your hair and scalp and massage gently for 5 minutes.
- Leave it to rest for 30 minutes before washing it out with a mild shampoo.
Repeat the treatment once every week for healthy hair growth.
Method 3: Lemon and Coconut Oil Mask for Dandruff
Lemon combined with coconut oil qualifies as one of the most effective remedies for treating dandruff.
Loaded with vitamins B and C, phosphorus, folic acid andother vital nutrients, lemon helps maintain the health of pigment cells in your hair follicles, thus detoxifying your scalp and preventing any traces of dandruff.
Coconut oil balances the acidic nature of lemon and nourishes and moisturizes your scalp.
Things you’ll need:
- Coconut oil (nourishes your scalp) – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice (treats dandruff) – 1 tablespoon (or the juice from half of a lemon)
Step 1. Mix coconut oil and lemon juice
- Pour 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a bowl, bottle or jar.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or squeeze the juice of half of a fresh lemon into the oil.
- Whisk the mixture so that the ingredients incorporate well into each other.
Step 2. Apply and leave it on your hair overnight
- Apply the oil to the scalp and massage gently for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Comb the oil through your hair, cover with a towel or shower cap and leave it on overnight.
- The next morning, wash it out using a mild shampoo and cold water.
Repeat on alternate days for effective results.