A pear shaped body is one which is heavier at the bottom, i.e. with wider hips and thicker thighs compared to slimmer shoulders and a narrow waist. The best way to find out if you’re pear shaped is to measure your waist one inch above the navel and measure the hips around the widest part. The waist measurement divided by the hip measurement gives you your Waist-Hip Ratio which is 0.8 or less for pear shaped women.
While you can do cardio to reduce overall body fat, you cannot change your basic shape. What you can do, however, is make your body more proportionate. Since the bottom half is heavier for pear shapes, your exercise plan should be two fold – to tone and build muscle in the upper body as well as to slim and firm up the lower body. Here we have 10 exercises for a pear shaped body that target both these requirements to give you the best workout.
Best 8 Exercises For a Pear Shaped Body
1. Squat to Rotating Press:
- Stand with feet slightly wider than hips, holding dumbbells together in front of body.
- Push hips back and bend knees to lower into a squat, reaching dumbbells to the floor.
- Press through heels to extend legs as you curl weights up into chest, drawing abs in tight.
- Immediately press weights overhead as upper body rotates right, pivoting left heel up (palms should be facing in with arms slightly in front of head in full extension).
- Immediately return to start; repeat on opposite side to complete one rep.
2. Side Plank with Reach Under:
- Grab a dumbbell in left hand and get into a side plank, propping
- upper body up on right elbow and forearm. Bend bottom knee for support and raise hips until body forms a straight line from ankles to shoulders.
- Extend left arm up to ceiling above shoulder, looking up at hand.
Keeping hips steady and abs drawn in tight, reach under and behind torso with left hand (eyes should follow left hand), then lift arm back to the starting position.
- That’s one rep. Do all reps on the right, then repeat on opposite side to complete the set.