What is Stretch marks?
Stretch marks are linear, smooth scars or injuries on the skin caused by a wasting or degeneration of the outermost layer of the skin, the epidermis. Depending on skin color, they can be red or purple and fade over time to a pale, silvery hue.
They most commonly appear in the thighs, breasts, hips, flank, butt, and abdomen, and usually after rapid stretching of the skin.
This is why many people develop stretch marks as a result of pregnancy, puberty, weightlifting, and rapid weight gain or loss.
Basically, anything that causes a sudden expansion or contraction of the skin can cause stretch marks.
About Stretch Marks:
Stretch marks are scars that get formed due to expansion and contraction of the skin. This condition is mainly associated with:
- Weight gain
- Muscle building
- Hormonal changes
Symptoms of Stretch marks:
Not all stretch marks look the same, they can vary depending on several things; what caused them, how long they’ve been there, where they are on your body, and what your skin type is. Some common variations are:
- Streak or lines in the skin that feel indented
- Red, pink, blue or purple streaks
- Dark streaks that eventually fade to a lighter color
- Lines on the stomach, breasts, hips, thighs or buttocks
- Streaks covering large areas on your body
Causes of Stretch Marks:
Stretch marks can occur whenever the skin is stretched beyond its limit, but typically happens when growth occurs rapidly. Adolescents and teens are particularly susceptible to stretch marks during growth spurts. Pregnant women commonly develop stretch marks in the abdomen, hips and breasts, and some women even develop them in their legs or ankles as a result of extreme water retention during gestation. Stretch marks are also common with non pregnancy weight gain.
Exercises for Stretch Marks on Thighs:
Regular and moderate exercises are help to prevent stretch marks from thighs. The American Pregnancy Association recommends regular exercise to pregnant women to promote energy and healthy sleep. In addition, regular exercise can reduce the unnecessary weight gain that often results in stretch marks. Exercise also improves circulation, which could help the skin remain elastic and allow it to stretch without tearing. Some exercises, such as weightlifting, can actually cause stretch marks when the skin is stretched to accommodate rapid muscle growth. Here we provide some best exercises for cellulite on thighs.
- Basic wide-stance squat:
When it comes to thigh issues, there’s nothing better than doing this exercise to get rid of stretch marks on thighs. This light stretching can help break down the scars and, of course, increase circulation to help the skin regenerate on your thighs.
How to do it:
- Stand with feet wide apart. Make sure your toes are pointed outward.
- Bend your knees and lower your body into a squat position.
- Keep your hips square and your shoulders level.
- Hold this position for 5 seconds.
- Straighten your legs back up and do the same routine.
2. Resistance Band Alternating Glute Squeeze:
- Hold handles next to hips with elbows bent and place both feet on the band, hip-width apart.
- Lift right foot and press the band back at an angle squeezing your glute.
- Keep leg straight. Release and switch sides.