One of the most noticeable features of our legs is the calf muscle. The calf muscle, when toned and built, can actually help give off the appearance of a slimmer thigh. Whether it’s time to rock skinny jeans or pull out your summer shorts, you need to make sure your calves look as tight as possible. The calves can be fickle foes when trying to get them into shape, as they need high-repetition exercises to push them past the rigors they endure on a daily basis.
Most Effective Calf Exercises for Women:
1. Standing Calf Raise:
- Start off standing up straight with your hips width apart.
- Hold your core tight to keep balance.
- Slowly raise up on the balls of your feet so that your heels are lifted off of the ground and do ten pulses at the top.
- Return back to the starting position and repeat for 10 raises and then stretch.
2. Foam Roller Calf Stretching:
- Sit on the floor with your legs stretched out, optionally with the ankles crossed for added weight, resting on the foam roller at your ankles.
- Place your hands on the floor behind your back for support.
- Lift your buttocks up slightly off the floor and push yourself down so that the foam roller rolls up towards your knees.
- Continue for 30 seconds to 1 minute and switch the cross of your ankles to repeat on the opposite side.